Saturday 28 January 2012


Drawing inspiration from the Cookie Monster, Chewbacca and Yaks



Vogue December 2011
The awkward moment when your sister counts your coats in disgust and another fur one is delivered through the post at that precise moment. I admit I probably have too many coats. But its not the quantity that bothers me. It's the diversity. I have fifteen in total (blazers, coats, leathers, capes, sheepskin, faux fur, vintage real fur, chiffon, yeti, denim, tribal, fringe)and I still have a trench, feather, cocoon, tweed and a tuxedo coat on my hit list this year. Plus I saw a gorgeous flannel jacket in Rokit, Covent Garden on Friday. Sigh.


Anyway, my attention is on faux fur today, fur without the guilt as I call it. More importantly: The shaggy yeti coat. I wish I was an eskimo...so I could wear it all day long. I love them. The Yeti had inspired the Sixties and Seventies and was seen recently in December's UK Vogue. Whilst I have a Kate Moss Topshop shaggy number in grey, I love the white monster look. Very reminiscent of Isabel Marant so I bought the Romwe version. Teamed with mahoosive lennon round sunglasses I was channelling daily my inner Janis Joplin.


Romwe Faux Fur Coat





Giles Yeti Coat
Fur and animal skins have dominated the runways season upon season. Just Cavalli's long camel flavoured yeti piece and Chanel  looks, F/W 2010-2011. Models rocked huge beehives with yeti trousers and the classic tweed jacket was coupled with shaggy rims. Whilst I was loving the iceberg purses and shaggy rucksacks, copying this look precisely would make me look like a huge yak. In the Fall/Winter 2011 season,  I adored Gucci, Furstenburg and Prada's vibrant of emerald, ruby and sapphire toned furs teamed with 1970's dresses and blouses. Frida Gianni, Gucci's creative director displayed hairy fur stoles, thigh slit chiffon dresses and a strong lip. It epitomised the Gucci woman: dramatic, powerful and sexy. Gucci continued its love affair with fur with Mary J Blige in November's Elle. The jewelled toned furs of Marios Schwab and Dolce & Gabbana's was to some too much Elmo and Bigfoot. For me, the yeti pinks of D&G and Topshop are too much but I adore other rich colours such as the below mustard.


















The Fall 2011/2012 season focused on ingraining fur into pieces: fur collars both lapel and peter pan to fur cuffs. Total fur took a bit of a backseat. But fear not, 2012 Spring trends include pastels, candy cane colours and whites.  So why not add a bit of texture and luxury and incorporate a shaggy coat into that look.


Carine Roitfeld a connoisseur of effortless chic, shows just how to do it. She reminds us that shaggy yeti fur coats are a voluminous key piece and needs only to be accessorized with a heel and black tights. Teaming boxy faux fur with sleek skinny leather trousers/cigarette pants and sunglasses like Mossy and Erin Wasson gives a simple contrast. I wear my white version with just a House of Harlow Necklace or fedora hat. As a sufferer from chunky thigh syndrome....im a firm beliver that the bigger the jacket the thinner the thigh.


 




















I'm pretty sure investing in a shaggy can add to any look. Glam rock: team with metallic or white tees, thigh highs and boots. Bohemian Chic: vintage fringed kimonos,velvet leggings, turban headbands and wine stained lips. Very early 80's Vivienne Westwood. Luxurious: rich reds mixed with brocades,embellishments and floaty midis. Day time: acid wash jeggings, brogues or cream converse. Anyone can look shaggalicious.


  • Fifty percent of magazine readers thought Kelis's mongolian yeti coat was a huge fashion mistake. Whilst seventy percent thought Beyonce's deep red Cavalli yeti was a fashion faux paux. Bleeergh what the hell do they know?!

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment